Cooking With Beer: Soup's On!
Yuengling brings new flavor to classic cheese soup. Plus, BACON!!!
Yuengling and Cheese Soup
- 12 oz. bottle Yuengling beer
- ½ pound thick sliced bacon, diced
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 ¼ cups chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ lb. sharp yellow cheddar cheese, coarsely shredded
- 4 oz. smoked cheddar cheese, coarsely shredded
- salt and fresh ground pepper
In a saucepan, cook bacon over moderate heat until crisp. Transfer bacon to a bowl, reserving grease. Add celery, onion, jalapeño, garlic and thyme to the saucepan and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened. Add 6 oz. of the Yuengling and simmer until reduced by half. Add the chicken broth and bring back to a simmer.
Melt butter in a small skillet. Add flour and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly until lightly browned. Whisk this into the chicken broth mixture until well incorporated and bring back to a simmer. Cook until thickened, then add heavy cream, cheddar cheeses and the remaining beer. Bring back up to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until thick and creamy. Stir in bacon and season with salt and pepper.
Serve with crispy garlic toast and an ice cold Yuengling beer.