You are ready for Celebración de Tequila after reading our Guide to Hosting a Tequila Tasting. We've got four tasty (and easy!) Mexican-themed recipes that are perfect to serve along with your tequila.
SLOW COOKER QUESO
Time: 30 - 40 Minutes
Servings: 6 - 8
- Two 16-ounce packages processed cheese, such as Velveeta, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Two 10-ounce cans tomatoes with chilies, such as Rotel Original
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- Flour tortillas, for serving
In a small slow cooker, add cheese cubes as well as both cans of the tomatoes with chilies, including the liquid from the cans. Set the slow cooker to low and let melt, stirring occasionally, until completely melted, about 30 minutes. Keep warm until ready to serve. Serve with tortilla chips, flour tortillas or as a topping for fajitas, nachos or tacos.
CROCK POT CHILI QUESO
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2½ hours
- 16 oz. plain Velveeta cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 15-oz can no-bean chili like Hormel's
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- juice of 1 lime (about 1 tablespoon)
- tortilla chips/scoops or Fritos, for serving
Cut Velveeta cheese into cubes to help it melt more evenly. Add all ingredients (except the chips) to a 2-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 2 ½ hours or on high for 1 ½ hours. Stir occasionally to make sure the cheese isn't clumping. Stir one last time so that everything comes together. Keep on the WARM setting when it comes time to serve and keep warm throughout your party. Serve with tortilla chips or Fritos.
Tip: Continuing to cook on low or high will cause cheese to burn to sides of slow cooker.
7 LAYER TACO DIP
Cook Time: 30 minutes - 1 hour (Depends on skill level)
Servings: Large crowd pleaser
- 1-ounce package taco seasoning mix
- 16-ounce can refried beans
- 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 16-ounce container sour cream
- 16-ounce jar salsa (or use your own homemade salsa)
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 bunch chopped green onions
- 1 small head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 6-ounce can sliced black olives, drained
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar or Mexican Blend cheese
- Tortilla or assorted chips for dipping
In medium bowl, blend taco seasoning mix and refried beans. Spread mixture onto large serving platter. Mix sour cream and cream cheese in medium bowl. Spread over the refried beans. Top layers with salsa. Place a layer of tomato, green bell pepper, green onions and lettuce over the salsa, and top with Cheddar cheese. Garnish with black olives. Serve with plenty of assorted chips.
Prep Time: 15 - 20 Minutes – Let stand 8 hours before serving.
Servings: Large crowd pleaser
- 15-ounce can black-eyed peas
- 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 15-ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 4-ounce can diced jalapeno peppers
- 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup Italian-style salad dressing
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tostatas and chips for serving
In large mixing bowl, combine black-eyed peas, black beans, corn, onion, green bell pepper, jalapeno peppers and tomatoes. Season with Italian-style salad dressing and garlic salt; mix well. Cover, and refrigerate overnight to blend flavors.
Variation: Add one package of taco or fajita seasoning.
Tip: Blend in about 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro just before serving.